Why can’t dogs eat chocolates

People love dogs. Pet owners have the habit of tossing a piece of the food they are eating with the pet not knowing that some people food can poison the pet. A pet owner would wonder why foods that give humans a lot of benefits would be harmful to dogs. Humans and dog have many genetic similarities but they are also different in a lot of ways. One of these differences is the dog’s inability to digest chocolates. The toxic effect of chocolates on dogs is made more dangerous because a lot of dog owners are unaware of this fact. People love chocolates as this comfort food has many benefits for humans. Chocolates and dogs though is a bad combination.

The substance theobromine in chocolate is the reason why this world’s most loved treat is toxic to dogs. Cocoa beans from where chocolates are derived contains the substance theobromine. Theobromine serves as a stimulant and causes frequent urination, affects the kidneys and the heart muscles as well as the central nervous system. Unlike humans, a dog’s system does not have the ability to digest this substance. Because of the dog’s inability to digest the theobromine substance, continued consumption will cause an accumulation in the dog’s system until a variety of medical concerns happen because increased level of toxicity.

Dog owners can share the chocolate bar with the pet or allow the dog to have a slice of the Black Forest cake. Apparently, a dog will not show signs of poisoning if only a small amount of these kinds of chocolates are consumed. Theobromine have dangerous effects but a dog has to ingest a substantial amount of chocolates before clinical signs of poisoning will be seen. Different types of chocolates have different toxicity levels. Because white chocolates is low in theobromine content, the toxicity level is also low. Because of the low theobromine content, a dog has to consume 200 ounces of white chocolates before clinical signs of poisoning can be noticed. Milk chocolates and semi-sweet chocolates contains more of toxic substance thus a substantial amount consumed will be dangerous to the pet. The baking chocolate is the most dangerous ass it has the highest theobromine content. Dog owners may not give the dog baking chocolate, dogs being the voracious eaters that they are may be lured by the smell and filch the chocolate while the master’s back is turned. If this happens, the dog must be taken to the vet’s at once. Find out more about what to do if your dog eats chocolate.


3 thoughts on “Why can’t dogs eat chocolates

  1. Hello to every , as I am actually eager of reading this website’s post to be updated daily.
    It carries good information.

  2. Pingback: Mario has Moved to Mobile Devices | bestofclonescripts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *