Why are grapes dangerous to dogs?

Grapes are favorite fruits of humans but these innocuous looking fruits can kill a dog. People commonly love to share whatever they are eating with the pet but because of the supposed harmful effects pet owners would not dare give the pet a single grape. The toxicity of grapes to dogs was verified although studies have failed to establish the cause of toxicity. One thing is for sure though – grapes can cause renal failure in canines. Grape toxicity would cause the dog severe pain and similar to other cases of poisoning, it can result to the death of the dog.

People love to eat grapes and raisins – and why not, grapes are delicious and contains loads of nutrients and vitamins. Grapes are good source of antioxidants. Oxidant or free radicals are the good cells that turned into rebellious cells because of the unhealthy lifestyle of people . Oxidants owe their existence to unhealthy food, alcohol, pollution and exposure to harmful rays of the sun. As good cells get contaminated by the bad cells or by the free radicals, people then suffer from health concerns like arthritis, heart diseases, cancer and many other more health concerns.

To stop these free radicals from doing more harm people need to have antioxidants and as mentioned grapes are good source of antioxidants. Not so many people are aware of this fact but not only handfuls but bowls of grapes will be consumed. Of course, weight watchers would favor this fruit as even if significant amount is consumed, no difference will be made on the waistline.

Grapes toxic effects on canines is a recent discovery. Before pet owner were warned about the harmful effects of grapes to canines, this fruit as well as raisins were used as treats when training dogs. Scientists and pet owners are puzzled as the toxicity of grapes do not affect all dogs. Some dogs would consume significant amount without being affected while other dogs that has consumed a few pieces of the fruit would manifest signs of poisoning. The toxicity of chocolates is dose dependent, this is not so with grapes.

A dog that was affected by the toxic contents of grapes would start to show a change in behavior. The dog will be hyperactive and then it will be depressed and become lethargic. Diarrhea and vomiting are signs that the dog was poisoned. Immediate treatment is necessary to save the life of the pet thus it must be rushed to the vet stat. If treatment is not given or delayed, the dog will have renal failure as the kidneys can no longer filter the toxins and this condition can lead to the death of the dog

 

add this article to Social bookmarks

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>